I received a call from my daughter today. Actually we speak regularly so there was nothing special about the call. After some time, however, she was asking me about parenting, relationships, and growing wiser with age. As I offered some opinions and thoughts she asked me why didn’t I blog about these things instead of ‘oatmeal pancakes’ (my most recent post).
I explained to her that generally speaking, most people really aren’t interested in my opinions. There are many self-help books out there, mass media psychologists, and that many people already have their minds made up anyway. She disagreed with some of my reasoning. Well, yeah, sometimes my kids listen to me-in fact more since they have grown older! Perhaps that is one of the things I have become wiser about as I have aged-minding my own business!!
However, I thought about what she said and decided to throw some ‘free advice’ out there. These are the ideals I try to live by. I am, however, a work in progress (still after all of these years) so I am not saying I am always successful.
Thoughts on parenting:
1. Love your children.
2. Spend time with your children.
3. Respect your children.
4. Listen to your children.
5. Don’t be afraid to discipline your children. They have friends-be a parent.
Thoughts on relationships:
1. Love (or like as appropriate) the people you care about.
2. Cultivate and appreciate your relationships.
3. Respect the people in your life.
4. Respect yourself -you will have more to offer that way.
1. Care about people.
2. Be honest and have integrity.
3. Respect others-them, their property, their thoughts.
3. Love God.
4. Care about the world around us.
Oh…and it’s ok if you don’t want my advice.
I am going back to minding my own business now!