Thommmee and I have decided to take on a huge project. We are calling it a ‘mini’ but it is…
A KITCHEN REMODEL!
This is going to be a low-budget do-it-yourself project. We have had many conversations, looked at a variety of books, watched YouTube videos, and visited our favorite store a multitude of times.
I am not talented in this department. I cringe to think of what lies ahead of us. Thommmee is pretty handy so he will be doing most of the work.
I did what I could to help by clearing off the counters…
…since the first job is to scrape off the popcorn ceiling.
My brother is visiting and giving us a helping hand to get started.
I call it a mini remodel since our goals are :
- take off the popcorn ceiling
- paint the walls and ceiling (probably some texture on the ceiling)
- scrub down the cabinets and replace the hardware. (we decided not to paint them at this time and replacing them is not in our budget)
- replace the counter tops (nothing super fancy)
- replace the kitchen sink
- replace the kitchen floors
- hire an electrician to update the lighting
- replace the dishwasher (budget permitting)
For us this is a pretty big project. I have no idea how long it will take. Thommmee will work at his pace and I am sure most of my “suggestions” will be met with
So…I am going to practice my patience, my fetching skills, and dust off my limited handyman abilities. I will probably have to take direction with a smile and keep up a good sense of humor because he thought the kitchen was fine…
just the way it is!
What a mess!!
(but getting better!)